Wednesday, January 19, 2011

LOLcats? More like DEMEANINGcats!

Taroko George disapproves of LOLcats


Today I wish to talk about something that has been bothering me a lot recently.

It is that goddamn I Can Has Cheezburger site.

Today I read that those bastards who are responsible for that monstrosity got $30 million in their first round of venture capital funding. Do venture capitalists have no conscience?

For the past half a decade, LOLcats have been perpetuating negative stereotypes about the intelligence and spelling abilities of cats, insinuating that despite our outward sanguine appearance, inside we are no more dignified than dogs. It is an artificial construct created and perpetuated by humanoid privilege. Why, even my humans were laughing at it the other day. I am ashamed... they should know better!

LOLcats oppresses cats in two ways. First, the photos capture cats at their most vulnerable and then appropriate and distort the images, taking them out of context. You don't have to have read Susan Sontag or something to know that photos are all by nature highly subjective. The LOLcats meme gave birth to and perpetuates a visual code that defeline-izes innocent cats, imprisons the reality of our highly complex existences and allows people to indulge their fetish for photos of wet cats so they can make naughty puns. It's voyeuristic and obscene!

What is even worse is that they imply that cats write like they are on crack all the time. I can spell "the." I can spell "kitty" and "doggy." I can spell "is" and "Internets." Most of my cat friends can, too, as long as we take the time to painstakingly type words out on a QWERTY keyboard even though we have no opposable thumbs (another example of humanoid privilege at work).

My point is: don't support LOLcats! Don't support I Can Has Cheezburger!

No comments:

Post a Comment